The Administrative Department for International Cooperation and European Affairs in the Region of Istria was established at the end of 2009, after 15 years of activities in the above mentioned area. Back in 1994, the Region of Istria became a member of very important and influential international organizations such as the Assembly of the European Regions. At the same time, while performing activities within international organizations, it developed bilateral cooperation with different regions of Europe.
Bilateral relations with influential regions and memberships in important international organizations have eventually led to a rich economic cooperation, i.e. specific projects developed in cooperation with foreign regions and participation in various programmes, especially those related to cross-border cooperation. Projects implemented by the Region of Istria can be seen in the Regional Project Database on the official website of the Region of Istria, www.istra-istria.hr and of the Administrative Department, www.istra-europa.eu. The experts from the Administrative Department for International Cooperation and European Affairs have participated in applying for a large number of projects and in their implementation. The Department coordinates activities and monitors the work of other administrative bodies in the preparation and implementation of projects, it submits project applications and monitors the execution of projects co-financed by EU funds and state authorities, depending on their competency area.
With the help of this Department, the Region of Istria fosters the relations with emigrants living all over the world, and as far as young people are concerned, besides organizing various training activities, it also carries out the Eurodyssee Youth Exchange programme.
• 1994 The Region of Istria becomes an active member in international organizations
• 1994-1999 Intensive development of bilateral cooperation with European regions
• 1999-2004 Participation in programmes: INTERREG, CARDS, PHARE
• 2004-2005 Launch of EURO Info Point, launch of the new Office in Brussels, participation in programmes: PHARE, ISPA, SAPARD
• 2006 Founding of the Adriatic Euroregion, inclusion in the IPA programme as the leading partner and the transfer of knowledge and experience to the public
• 2013 Support of the Region of Istria in the accession of the Republic of Croatia to the EU
• 2014 Strengthening of cooperation network with entities and institutions on a local level, the use of programmes and funds available to Croatia with the development of human resources and capacities, informing citizens on the EU integration processes
• 2015 Coordination and preparation of development projects and their application for receiving European Structural and Investment (ESI) funds from the Operational Programmes “Competitiveness and Cohesion“ and “Human Resource Management“.